Holiday Decorating

It's time to remember those heirloom treasures you’ll soon be unpacking...with some forethought they can be incorporated into a fabulous holiday look that unites your home inside and out. I’m about the embark on just such a project, it’s one I look forward to each year in Belle Haven, CT. Have a look at how I mix some of my favorite greens and dried leaves and ribbons with my client’s cherished ornaments for a look that is fresh, cohesive and personal. I dare you to enter this beautiful home and not feel welcome! Consider placing a fresh wreath on a blank wall or in front of a window. A double-sided balsam wreath --plain or set off with a bow-- will do the trick... but for something that’s a little more originalI wove lime-colored ribbon through the wreath and embellished it with pinecones.
Here I mixed fresh bay leaves, fresh seeded eucalyptus and limes:
If your home boasts a sizable staircase, it can be dressed in greens to become a major focal point. I have worked with faux garlands and decorated them with pinecones and ribbon. But a favorite recent garland called for cedar, Douglas fir and magnolia. I tucked a fabric ornament into the greens at the landing in a large bow.
and the closeup:
Hall mirrors and mantels are also important. I coordinate the materials but also look to use objects from a client’s personal holiday collections. Do you have a nutcrackers, holiday globes, reindeer or santas that you’d like to display? Or would you prefer a garland of faux fruits?
On this mantel I’ve mixed fresh magnolia (or douglas fir) (place in mini-troughs of oasis to ensure they will stay fresh for the entire season).

One more idea for mantel décor: swag a garland of cedar and Douglas fir, accented with fresh bay leaves, fresh seeded eucalyptus and limes in front of the mantel.
There many ways ways to dress up your house at this time of year – and I’d love to help you create something magical.
All photos by Kathy DiGiovanna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elegant Seaside Wedding at the Manursing Island Club

Storybook wedding at Lake Waramaug Country Club

Magical Wedding Reception at a Country Horse Farm