Summer Floral Designs


What a nice mix of jobs I had this summer.  I loved every bit of it, and I guess it showed. Merchants in New Preston and Washington, CT, turned to me to create window boxes and planters that would go the extra mile for the busy tourist season.  I had fun coordinating the entrance D. K Schulman Design in New Preston –with window boxes of black and papaya petunias.  This striking combination captured the eye of an Artscope Magazine photographer illustrating an article on Litchfield County.  I worked the ever-faithful angelonia, vebena, lantana and millions bells; these are the Percheron draft horses, the mainstays, and come in many varieties and colors. Needlepoint ivy and a few surprises added the finishing touches. Sometimes flowers and foliage really CAN draw pedestrian traffic, and this was exactly what happened the day I arrived in Larchmont, NY, and began creating a large planter for Sweeets, a new candy emporium. “Would you come do mine next year?’ one of the neighboring merchants asked. The yellow, orange and blue flowers in the arrangement matched the sign in the shop’s glistening plate glass window to a “t”.


There were elegant parties and a variety of weddings in Connecticut and Manhattan. I used flowers that would have been at home in a local garden for a country wedding. Some of my favorite custom ordered gems made for an elegant dinner at Manhattan’s Bryant Park Grill. And I had fun playing with sunflowers s in glass containers, and fiery roses, Bells of Ireland and hydrangeas for a wedding reception held at an art gallery – they seemed to capture the very essence of summer.

Now I’m moving on to a large and exciting new project. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elegant Seaside Wedding at the Manursing Island Club

Storybook wedding at Lake Waramaug Country Club

Magical Wedding Reception at a Country Horse Farm